Congratulations on owning land! Now it is time to make the most of it.
Whether you plan to build on your land, use it for hunting and recreation, or just want to enhance its value as an investment, these great resources will help you get the most out of land ownership.
Building and Maintenance
- Mid-Minnesota Builders Association (MMBA) – Membership organization representing over 220 members involved in and supporting all phases of the home-building industry.
- Water Systems Council – Downloadable documents providing a wealth of information about wells and septic systems including basic information, maintenance, and testing and treatments. Click to see A Homeowner’s Guide to Your Well and the Info Sheet for Your Septic System.
Forestry and Farming
- American Forest Foundation – A foundation that offers outreach programs, tools, and resources to help woodland owners improve wildlife habitat, protect water quality, and take other actions on their land that will protect future forest values.
- Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) – International membership organization for forested land owners, timber industries, social groups, and environmental organizations to come together to find solutions to improve forest management practices.
- My Minnesota Woods – Great source for woodland stewardship advice offered by the University of Minnesota Forest Resources Extension. Use the Ask an Expert link to ask a question get expert answers, and find the online version of the book Woodland Stewardship: A Practical Guide for Midwestern Landowners, 2nd Edition.
- Sustainable Forestry: A Landowner’s Manual – Management guide for private landowners who are interested in tree farming, managing private forestland, and the production and selling of timber. Also visit Minnesota Forest Industries for additional information on best management practices, sources of forestry assistance, how to choose a quality logger, timber sale contracts, and invasive species of Minnesota.
- Sustainable Forest Incentive Act (SFIA) – This legislation passed in 2001 allows owners of forested land to enroll in the program and receive annual payments as an incentive for practicing long-term sustainable forest management.
- Sustainable Forestry Initiative – The SFI Forest Partners® program works to involve forest landowners, conservation groups, government agencies, and others in getting forested acres certified to the SFI standard for the enjoyment of current and future generations.
- USDA Farm Service Agency – National organization developed to support America’s farmers and ranchers in sustaining the agricultural economy through legislation, programs, loans, education, and other services.
Hunting and Recreation
- Explore Minnesota – Search by city for festivals and events, things to do, places to stay or drink and eat, and more!
- Hunting and Trapping Regulations (MN DNR) – Online version of the current hunting and trapping regulations handbook and the current Deer Zone Map.
- Outdoor Recreation (MN DNR) – Links to valuable information on outdoor activities such as camping, canoeing, cross-country skiing, geocaching, recreational geology (like mine site touring), horseback riding, wildlife viewing and birding, snowmobiling, and more!
- Public Water Accesses (MN DNR) – Find public water accesses by county; lake information; boating information, regulations, and guides; fishing regulations and information, swimming beaches, and information about aquatic invasive species.
- Quality Deer Management Association (QDMA) – Non-profit wildlife conservation organization dedicated to ensuring a sustainable future for white-tailed deer, wildlife habitat, healthier and more balanced deer populations, and more rewarding hunting experiences.
- Google Earth – Download this free program to explore your neighborhood and find the nearest restaurants, parks, shops, banks, churches and more. Get an aerial view of your land, measure distances, and overlay photos.
- Google Maps – Online mapping offering satellite imagery, street maps, 360° panoramic street view, real-time traffic conditions, and route planning.
- NorthStar Mapper – Online mapping of Minnesota offered by the Minnesota Geospatial Information Office. Navigate the state, jump to specific city/county/township, zoom in to areas of interest, find information about a place (including population and elevation), view color air photos and topographic maps, customize and print maps.
- If your land is well-located and suitable for subdivision, it may be profitable to subdivide it and sell it as smaller tracts. You will want to consider factors such as location, condition of the property, public and private access, current and potential zoning, availability of utilities, market conditions, and your aptitude for managing the process. You will also need to have a team of professionals to advise and assist you (such as a land planner, land surveyor, engineer, attorney, accountant, and REALTOR®).
Chambers of Commerce
- Brainerd Lakes Chamber of Commerce
- Park Rapids Lakes Area Chamber of Commerce
- Leech Lake Area Chamber of Commerce
- Pine River Chamber of Commerce
- Aitkin Chamber of Commerce
- Grand Rapids Area Chamber of Commerce
- Bemidji Area Chamber of Commerce